QTIX is the official ticketing service with selected packages are sold through authorised resellers only. Read more about purchasing tickets online.
Strictly Gershwin comes roaring back to evoke the glamour and romance of the golden age in this spectacular tribute to George and Ira Gershwin. Summoning the silver screen magic of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, Queensland Ballet takes audiences on a dazzling journey through ballet, jazz, tap, and ballroom dance genres, to the big band era soundtrack of the thirties. It’s a true celebration of the Gershwins, with Derek Deane’s choreography a sensational match to their larger-than-life Broadway creations and seductive Hollywood tunes.
With music adapted by Gareth Valentine, Deane’s Strictly Gershwin was choreographed for the English National Ballet in 2008 and has since been adored across the world. Queensland Ballet performed it in 2016 to rave reviews.
Featuring the Gershwin’s greatest hits including “Rhapsody in Blue”, “Summertime”, “Strike up the Band”, “Someone to Watch over Me”, “‘S Wonderful”, “Shall We Dance”, “I Got Rhythm” and many more, experience the music synonymous with the romantic ideals of post-war America, jazz, Broadway, and debonair dance routines, culminating in a sparkling grand finale from An American in Paris.
Book now for this fabulous homage to the art deco era.
Post Performance Q&A
- Sat 30 Sep, 1:30 PM
30 Minute Q&A after the performance featuring cast and creatives.
- Choreographer and Director Derek Deane OBE
- Assistant to the Choreographer Ivan Gil-Ortega
- Stager Amy Hollingsworth
- Words and Music George Gershwin and Ira Gershwin
- Music Adaption Gareth Valentine
- Orchestrator Don Sebesky
- Tap Choreographer Bill Simpson
- Costume Designer Roberta Guidi di Bagno
- Lighting Designer Howard Harrison
- Revival Lighting Designers Cameron Goerg and Ben Hughes
- Conductor Michael England
- Conductor Nigel Gaynor
- Music Performed by Queensland Symphony Orchestra
- Featuring Pianist Daniel Le
- Costumes and props are co-owned by Queensland Ballet and Tulsa Ballet.
- Gershwin is a registered trademark of Gershwin Enterprises and is used under license.
- Conductor Michael England
- Tap Choreographer and Tap Artist Bill Simpson
- Tap Artist Kris Kerr
- Tap Artist Rachael Walsh
- Singer (Tenor) Luke Kennedy
- Singer (Mezzo) Naomi Price
- Singer (Soprano) Nina Korbe
- Singer (Tenor) Ben Mingay
- Principal Artist Camilo Ramos
- Pianist Daniel Le
Queensland Ballet The Nutcracker 2023Now PlayingPlayhouse, QPAC
Celebrate the most magical and popular of holiday traditions as Queensland Ballet presents The Nutcracker.
Queensland Ballet Love & Legacy, Celebrating Li Cunxin AO12 - 13 DecPlayhouse, QPAC
From classical masterpieces to dynamic contemporary favourites, this season of signature pieces reflects Li’s creativity at the helm of Queensland Ballet.
Queensland Ballet A Midsummer Night’s Dream12 - 27 Apr 2024Playhouse, QPAC
Experience the wonder of Shakespeare in the whimsical A Midsummer Night’s Dream by Liam Scarlett.
Queensland Ballet Coppélia7 - 22 Jun 2024Playhouse, QPAC
A beautiful, life-like doll and two quarrelling young lovers create comic chaos in this spirited ballet.
Queensland Ballet Coco Chanel: the Life of a Fashion Icon4 - 19 Oct 2024Playhouse, QPAC
Trailblazer. Icon. This evocative ballet explores one woman’s elusive rise to the top at any cost.
Queensland Ballet The Lady of the Camellias5 - 8 Dec 2024Lyric Theatre, QPAC
The Lady of the Camellias, featuring the Shanghai Ballet, will draw you into a world of love and tragedy in 19th century Paris.
Queensland Ballet The Nutcracker13 - 21 Dec 2024Lyric Theatre, QPAC
A sparkling winter wonderland awaits in the delightful holiday ballet that takes place one frosty Christmas Eve night.
CHICAGOFrom 2 Jan 2024Lyric Theatre, QPAC
Broadway's longest-running musical, CHICAGO, arrives at QPAC's Lyric Theatre this January!