Mozart's The Magic Flute; out of the theatre and onto the beach...
Sometimes it feels like a crime to go indoors when the skies are clear, even for a night at the opera.
That’s why we’re taking the opera out of the theatre and onto the beach.
Picture a giant sandcastle on the beach at Coolangatta, families enjoying a picnic, children playing as the sun goes down, and miraculously beautiful music.
And there you have a uniquely Australian production of one of the world’s favourite operas, Mozart’s The Magic Flute.
This new production is directed by Michael Gow and stars some of Opera Australia’s finest singers alongside a chorus drawn from community choirs and Gold Coast’s own surf life saving clubs.
Together, they will battle the monster, put a spell on the guards and rescue the princess, before sending you home, with stars in your eyes, sand in your shoes and songs in your heart.
Now that’s opera, Australia!
Director Michael Gow
Set and Costume Designer Robert Kemp
Sound Designer Norwest Productions, Brisbane
Tamino Jonathan Abernethy
Queen of the Night Milica Ilic
Sarasto Conal Coad
Food, beverage and seating
A range of food and beverages is available at the venue from 5pm. For the comfort of our patrons only low beach chairs (not camping chairs) will be permitted. Strictly no BYO alcohol. Alcohol will be available for purchase on site. Spread out your towel on the sand and picnic under the stars.
> More information about seating options
Bleach* Festival is an initiative of Connecting Southern Gold Coast.
The Opera Australia Community Choir has been assisted by the Australian Government through the Australia Council for the Arts, its funding and advisory body.
OPERA ON THE BEACH SEATING ARRANGEMENTS
Seating at Opera on the Beach is in three sections – Premium, A and B Reserve. Within those sections, seating is unreserved. The venue opens at 5.00 pm so you can come early and choose somewhere to sit.
What will I be sitting on?
In the Premium section, a low-set beach chair will be provided.
In A and B Reserve, we recommend you bring a blanket ,rug , cushion or towel to sit on. You may bring your own low-set beach chair, but you won’t be able to sit on a full-sized chair or anything else that could block the view of the people behind you.
What if I need a chair?
Special areas at the edge of the seating sections will be arranged for people who cannot sit on the ground. If you need to sit in this area, you must let us know in advance. Space in this area is limited, so we ask that you only register for it if you really need to do so. Please bring your own chair to sit on in this area and please make sure the back of the chair is no taller than 80cm.
To register to sit in this section, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (07) 5534 3500. Please register at least two weeks before the performance. Space is limited, so we recommend registering early.
We have a very limited number of beach wheelchairs available. To reserve one, email email@example.com or call (07) 5534 3500.
There will be a designated holding area for all prams and similar located near the ticket office . All articles left at this location will be at the owners responsibility .
On the night
Plenty of ushers will be present to help you find somewhere to sit and make sure that no one is blocking someone else’s view. Please cooperate with the ushers as they do their best to make the evening a wonderful experience for everyone.
Food and Beverage
This event will have two bars , open from 5pm – 10pm , selling alcoholic and non- alcoholic beverages.
No BYO alcohol is permitted.
Opera on the Beach staff have the right to confiscate any BYO alcoholic items.
Food – a selection of food outlets plus a coffee station will be on site with hours from 5pm – 10pm
No , glass , esky’s or bulky items are permitted.
Food and beverage outlets will be closed during performances.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Exchange or Return of Tickets
Tickets that have been paid for cannot be refunded or returned. Changes in the cast or the programme do not entitle holders to return or exchange tickets.
Cancellation or Transfer of a Performance Conditions
Opera on the Beach is an open-air event. The venue and the stage are completely uncovered. The special nature of this event will be appreciated by visitors from all over the world who understand that there is a certain risk of bad weather. Opera Australia and Bleach* Festival are therefore committed to going ahead with a performance of Opera on the Beach even in doubtful weather conditions.
Visitors are advised that it may rain during the performance. The performance will proceed if there are light, intermittent showers. We therefore recommend that guests bring warm and rainproof clothing. Please note that although umbrellas can be brought to the site, out of consideration for other members of the audience they cannot be used during the performance.
In the case of extreme weather, The Magic Flute may be delayed by up to 70 minutes at any point throughout the performance.
The performance will only be cancelled if the weather poses a threat to the safety of performers or the audience. Cancellation will occur in the event of heavy rain and/or strong winds as Opera Australia and Bleach* Festival acknowledge that the comfort and safety of the audience and its performers are paramount.
If a performance is cancelled or plays for less than 50% of the total performance running time the ticket holder shall have the ticket price refunded in full or can exchange the ticket for a subsequent performance. Customers should contact the organisation from whom they purchased their tickets (i.e. Opera Australia /QTIX/Gold Coast Arts Centre) to organise an exchange or refund the next business day.
Auxiliary expenses including travel, accommodation are at your own risk and not refundable by Opera Australia.
- A ticket is valid only when purchased from Opera Australia, through Bleach* Festival or QTIX or an authorised agent.
- The right of admission is reserved and event staff reserves the right to inspect bags of patrons who enter or exit the venue regardless of size.
- Each individual entering the venue must have a valid ticket regardless of age. Persons aged under 15 years must be accompanied by a ticketed adult.
- There is a Children price but no pensioner/concession price for this event.
- Patrons who disrupt a performance may be ejected from the venue.
- Patrons wishes to bring personal items into the venue, do so at their own risk. The event organisers will not take responsibility for any items which are lost or damaged on the site.
Patrons arriving late may not be admitted until a suitable break in the performance. If a suitable break prior to interval is identified, latecomers will be seated in areas where minimal disruption will be caused to seated attendees. This is at the discretion of venue staff. Ticket refunds or exchanges are not available on the basis of late arrival.
Seating for Disabled or Less Mobile Patrons
Customers requiring wheelchair positions and/or assistance should contact the Opera on the Beach at email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call (07)55343500 to register as space is limited. Registration must be made at least two weeks prior to the performance. Access to a limited number of beach wheelchairs will be made available on site and registration for these is a must.Premium Seating
A low set beach chair will be supplied to all premium seating ticket holders by Opera on the Beach and are not to be removed. A & B Reverse
No seating is supplied. Patrons will be seated directly on the sand. Blankets, rugs, cushions, towels are permitted / recommended.In General
- BYO chairs will be permitted for patrons who cannot sit on the ground. Special areas at the edge of the seating sections will be arranged. Space is limited so we ask that you register for this space early on email: email@example.com or call (07)55343500 at least two weeks prior to the performance. You can bring your own chair as long as the back height of the chair is no more that 80cm.
- Opera on the Beach is unreserved seating in all sections.
- Opera on the Beach have the right to remove any chair that is not a low set beach chair, prams, podiums, inflatable items or any objects the will restrict the view of others.
- Patrons permissible to bring their own, mats, rugs, towels and low set beach chairs only.
- In the case of a patron attending Opera on the Beach who is legitimately not fit to sit on ground level must register prior to the event by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (07) 5534 3500
- A designated area will be erected on the outer boundary of Premium, A & B reserve for patrons that have registered. This area will be a BYO chair area. No chairs will be supplied. Designated seating areas will have a maximum capacity.
- BYO chairs over a maximum back height of 80cm will not be permitted.
- Registering for this service will close two weeks out from the first performance. Registrations within two weeks of the first performance may not be accepted and will be handled on a case-by-case bases.
- Patrons registering to BYO chair must be able to provide sufficient reasoning or documentation as to why they are not fit to sit at ground level. This will be at the discretion of Opera on the Beach staff.
- Mobility restricted patrons requiring a beach wheel chair will be seated within all areas. Space is limited, therefore patrons who request this service will also be required to register by emailing email@example.com or by calling (07) 5534 3500.
Food & Beverage
- This event will have two bars, open from 5pm - 10pm, selling alcoholic and no - alcoholic beverages.
- No BYO alcohol is permitted.
- Opera on the Beach staff have the right to confiscate any BYO Alcoholic items.
- And of course, you must be over 18 to purchase or consume alcohol at the venue. Payment will be by Cash only. Please note there will be no ATM facilities at Opera on the Beach.
- A selection of food outlets plus a coffee station will be on site with hours from 5pm - 10pm.
NO GLASS, ESKIES , OR BULKY ITEMS ARE PERMITTED
Opera Australia / QTIX privacy policies applies to tickets sold by Opera Australia for Opera on the Beach.
Use of Electronic Devices
Use of cameras and other recording devices during the performance is prohibited.
Right to Record or Broadcast
Opera Australia and Bleach* Festival reserves the right to record, broadcast, simulcast and photograph any performances and the venue which may include staff and the audience.
Opera on the Beach is set on one of the Gold Coasts most famous surf beaches – Greenmount Beach at Coolangatta.
Why not plan a visit and create a truly unforgettable experience that will linger in your memory long after the lights have gone down?
There are a number of accommodation providers that we can recommend, who are located within easy walking distance of the Opera event.
Find out more about Gold Coast accommodation.